Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Shall I Compare Thee to/with a Summer’s Day?


A client recently asked an interesting question about whether we should use “with” or “to” when making a comparison.

I was sure that both could apply and I know that I have used both instinctively at different times but I was not certain why. Armed with a Shakespeare quote, my own rule has always been to use “compared to” and “in contrast with”, which is actually a handy way of sidestepping the issue (always a good idea with grammar if you’re not 100% sure).

While both are acceptable, this, it turns out, is actually the main point of difference and it all depends on the context.


Generally, we should use:


“compared to” 
when highlighting the similarities between things

“compared with” 
when pointing out the differences



While I had no doubt that Shakespeare got it right, the reason he did was because he was saying that his love was like a Summer’s day. Had he wanted to say that, in contrast with summer’s day, his love was as miserable as Winter, he could have used “with”. I’m glad he didn’t, though, as that would have made for a far less romantic sonnet.

(By the way, in case you're wondering why summer and winter have capital letters in some instances above, it's because they are personified, but that's another day's work!)

No comments:

Post a Comment